Monday, July 23, 2018

I finally finished art school (+ the degree show!)

Throughout June my art school held it's degree show as part of our graduation, which gave all students an opportunity to exhibit our work to the public. Along with our professional portfolios, we also displayed originals or prints of our project work along with any promotional material.

Plymouth College of Art Illustration degree show

My portfolio and promotional display, alongside my work from my final projects that was hung on the wall. All of my portraits are actually personal work and had nothing to do with the course, some of which are years old. I included one original portrait, my most recent of David Gilmour, as one of my pet peeves is people asking if I "really drew that"!

I was pleased with my promo material, and apparently so was everyone else as I had nothing left but the postcards my uni created by the end of it. I ordered my business cards from Moo, and picked the square template partly as I figured everyone else would have rectangle, and when you're being displayed with 40 other illustrators you have to do what you can to stand out. I also thought my guitar picks were a nice touch as so much of my artwork being displayed was music related.

Plymouth College of Art Illustration degree show

To be honest I found the entire experience of the degree show underwhelming. It was presented to us as an opportunity that professionals would attend which could lead to potential work, but I only saw locals and other students having a nose. It felt like a lot of money for very little, and although I'm pleased with how my display came together ultimately it was all a bit unnecessary.

My course really pushed the portfolio more than I feel they should have. We had several crit meetings over them and how to to put them together, but it's an outdated format that I just can't see myself ever using again. I've spoken with several professional illustrators who have been working steadily for years who have all stated that no one has ever asked to see a print portfolio, only a digital one.

There were several other elements of my course that left a bad taste in my mouth by the time it was over with; not only was the advice given out of date and ineffective in certain areas such as self promotion and portfolio work, on a more personal level my institution in particular wasn't the greatest at treating everyone as equals. It became clear who was being invested in the most both in terms of finance and support, and also as a disabled student I was left floundering despite asking for help several times and even having my NHS support worker try and talk to my tutors. It's also frustrating that my art style hasn't really had a chance to develop whilst at uni as it's difficult to find the time. I've been more concerned with meeting deadlines than allowing myself time to experiment and grow.

Despite that however I'm still glad I studied illustration to degree level as it's given me invaluable knowledge of the industry and the confidence to actually pursue it. Before my studies I envisioned myself selling my art online through Etsy and selling at fairs and cons, hoping my social media profile might suddenly grow enough to allow me to turn it into a full time job. My degree taught me that the industry is much wider than that, and that I'm not reliant on the fickle world of social media, I'm much more in control of my career. And although my art style hasn't developed, I have had opportunity to try out different fields of illustration through my projects so I know which I'd rather work in - before my course the big dream was to perhaps one day illustrate children's books which I've learnt I actually hate!! And Editorial, which previously sounded dull with too fast of a turnaround, was actually the industry that I found the most exciting. These are things I'd never have realised if it weren't for having the opportunity to try my hand at for myself within my course.

It's definitely been a very mixed experience, but one I'm very glad that I had. And I'm even prouder to say that I have a degree, as it's taken years of ups and downs and poor health to get here. I'm finally on the other side, and I can't wait for the next step as a graduate!

Post a Comment

© a soot sprite. Design by FCD.